"There are two types of education. One should teach us how to make a living, and the other how to live..."

--John Adams

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Week of April 3-5

Welcome back from Spring Break Baby Birds!  I hope you enjoyed your time off from school.  I spent my week grading research papers and watching the History Channel...duh!  We have a few things ahead of us this week before I head to DC with the 7th graders, and when I head to DC there will be a number of tasks for you to complete when I am gone.  You should follow me on Twitter when in DC, for I will take tons of pictures in the museums for you!!

Day 1
In Class:  Gilded Age review -- Vertical vs. Horizontal Integration....Carnegie, Vanderbilt, Morgan, Rockefeller...Inventions during the Gilded Age...The CITY! Is the modern city the greatest thing that came about during this age???...I think so!....
HW:  Abraham Lincoln Presidential Project due Friday, April 5
Notes:  Civil War Test on April 9/10 (Day 2 of that week for you)

Day 2
In Class:  THE CITY = DEATH to Native America...The frontier closes...What are the effects of urbanization? -- Great test question FYI Gilded Age Presidents:  Wow, were they bad or what?  Presidents Hayes, Garfield, Arthur, Cleveland, Harrison, Cleveland Part II, and McKinley...A tale of two cities: Jacob Riis and the rise of the slums...The Great Wave of of Immigration from 1880--1920
HW:  Abraham Lincoln Presidential Project due Friday, April 5
Notes:  Civil War Test on April 9/10 (Day 2 of that week for you)

Day 3
In Class:  MUCKRAKING and the Progressive Era begins!!!  TR an American Original who helped clean up the muck of America!
HW:  Abraham Lincoln Presidential Project due Friday, April 5
Notes:  Civil War Test on April 9/10 (Day 2 of that week for you)